Antlers.


I realized this topic would need to be covered seeing our boss is a moose and all. So here is what I came up with.
Everybody (well almost everybody) knows what antlers are, or they will learn quite fast. Antlers are not necessarily the topic I was wanting to cover but actually the shedding of theses wonderful antlers. You see moose shed their antlers every year, so we must assume that they also grow a new set. But the question is, why do moose shed there antlers when bison keep there horns? I will attempt to answer this question for you today. The reason is that antlers are not like ruminant horns. Antlers are made of true bone, without a central core and a sheath, so antlers frequently break. All males of the moose/deer/elk family shed there antlers with the exception of the musk deer of central Asia, and the Chinese water deer. These few deers do not shed there antlers. Why? I do not know, but if you are interested I will research it and do my best to help you to understand. Thats all for now.

Keep reading.

Nic

1 comments

Make A Comment